Outline of the history
The year 1594 was really important for people from Besko. The king Zygmunt III Waza was asked to establish Latin parish in Besko by starost Jerzy Grzegorz Mniszek from Sanok. Special document was written in Latin on parchment in March 19, 1594 in Kracow. Till then Roman Catholic people from Besko were attended to churches in Sanok or nearby temples in Zarszyn, Rymanów, Haczów or Trześniów. Mniszek allocated for this purpose grounds from the left side of Wisłok river. Saint Cross’s Church was made from wood, but we do not know anything about its shape or size. Maybe it was similar to typical towers which were like beautiful sacred pearls in Haczow, Iwonicz and Binarowa. Probably the presbytery was built near the church. First school , garden and cemetery was built by the church. Thanks to Roman Catholic parish administrative supervision was maintained.
In January 20, 1596 bishop Wawrzyniec Goślicki approved foundation and Besko Parish which he separated from Sanok parish. The day after he approved first parish priest Andrzej Klemensowicz ( he carried out his function from 1596-1623). According to some opinions and sources this first church did not last for a long time, probably only 11 years, till 1605, when the church parish was destroyed in fire. We know, that Wisłok washed over edges and foundations of the church and the commentary. We only assume that the church was moved to safer place far from the river but we do not know the actual date of the demolition. Now there is no track after the first church and cemetery in Besko. It was probably Wisłok the river that rubbed off all the material remains. We believe that after the fire the church was all right (maybe it was renovated ) but it was moved to the left side of the river. However, the new church had to be built because of the river which was all the time overflowing and destroying the old temple. It is sure that the priest Wawrzyniec Szmidziński asked district office in Sanok to do something with this situation. In January 14 ,1755 Jerzy August Wandalin Mniszek from Dukla submitted the request . The king August III agreed with the district office decision and in the year 1755 they started to built (or move to the new place ) the next temple. This time the church was moved to the higher part of Besko which was not sunk, it was near the manor. The church was built in 6 months time- and what is more it was before the official royal agreement. Maybe the king gave marshal Mniszek verbal permission, which he confirmed later.
September 12, 1757 royal chancellery got the king’s signature in the document, but earlier August 27, 1755 bishop from Przemysl, Wacław Sierakowski consecrated new temple. Next to the church there was initial cemetery. Szmidziński the priest was proud of his work. In 1775 he became the parish priest and the dean in Rymanów. Next to the church presbytery was built. It was initially small and made of brick building. Its roof was made of shingle. We know very little about the interior of the building. Probably next it the there was a bakery. There was an alley with lots of trees from the manor to the church.
When Szmidziński had gone to Rymanów, the parish in Besko had been under the legal and spiritual supervision of fathers from Stara Wieś.
In 1787 Szymon Urbański came to Besko and started his work at the church. He was the parish priest for 23 years. After Urbański the next priest was Felix Woytoniewski 1810-1819 but unfortunately we know nothing about him. We assume that then the cemetery was moved to the new place which is today’s place. It was several dozens far from the church.
In 1819 Aleksander Kwiatkowski became the new priest. He worked in Besko for 45 years- it was the longest time ever. He made many investments: he set up the garden next to the church, the belfry was made in 1841, the basement, stable and other buildings. There was also the granary which had two floors. The first floor was built from the brick, the higher floor was made out of the wood. The roof was made of the sheet metal. At the end of the XIX century the granary was rebuilt. The entrance is in the rectangle shape. At the floor there are iron door. Kwiatkowski enclosed the church with stones wall and the cemetery with wooden fence. On the cemetery wooden mortuary was built. Most of his investments survived to this day. People liked the priest very much. Iron board was made for him to honour his work. Kwiatkowski died in 1871 and his thumb is in the parish cemetery. From December 21- May 19, 1854 the parish was directed by Zacharski the priest or sometimes by the priest from Zarszyn. In 1854 May19 , Józef Kłopotowski was the owner of the village, then Ludwik Fleischmann came to Besko. He was the son of German colonists. He was born in 1814 May 14,in Rzeszów. He was also the curate in Mrukowa and army priest. Directly from army he was moved to Besko. Flaiszman the priest, who was then 40 years old, eagerly set to work. As a very active person and a great organizer, and also a man full of compassion for the poor and orphans, wanted to improve financial status of the peasants. He started the repair of the church – in 1856, the walls covered with shingles and thanks to the contributions of the parish he purchased a large crystal chandelier ,ceiling lighting (so-called "spider"). In 1858, Fr. Flaiszman, including the contributions of the parishioners purchased a bell "Humphrey" (which was blessed by Fr. Dziuk of Sanok), and a year later the second bell of unknown name . Consecrated in September 14, 1861 by Fr. Kulczykowski Humphrey, dean of Sanok. Soon, a third bell appeared named "Michael". Unfortunately, after years of use bell "Humphrey" burst. In its place, in 1872, Fr. Flaiszman bought new bell in Wiener Neustadt near Vienna, with a diameter of 85 cm and a weight of 285 kg. In 1876, bought two more bells – the first with a diameter of 65 cm and a weight of 125 kg and the other with a diameter of 45 cm and 413 kg. The last three bells were requisitioned by Australian government during the First World War, after the war, none were recovered. He bought a new tabernacle and renewed church: in 1860 he painted the church bell, and in 1861, supplied one side chapel at the grave of God. He also bought the harmonica. In 1862, he renewed shingle roof covering. The 50s XIX century, there are the oldest still existing tombstones in a cemetery in Besko – neo-Gothic column of 1852, topped with an iron cross and the family tomb Kłopotowskich (1855). In 1854 the school in Milcza was built (which for 70 years belonged to the parish of Besko) in 1862 and moved the school in Besko (standing near Wisłok) at its present location, located on the land, bought from Petronela Jarzynowska. He rebuilt it and in 1868 he gave back finished building (it is, of course, the school in Felician Sisters’ building). During his tenure in 1863, Maria Królicka from Poręby funded fourteen Stations of the Cross. In 1867, John Mermer bought to the temple a second, smaller spider ceiling, and the Brotherhood of the Rosary along with Jadwiga Fydryk and Ursula Wróbel funded silver candlesticks (years 1861-1867). In 1863, the Brotherhood of the Rosary bought a painting of Our Lady of the Rosary, which is located on the right (south) side altar, and two years later the Church of the Living Rosary tied. Kolatorka Kłopotowska Angela, wife of Joseph Kłopotowski, gave this altar frontal – an ornate beaded curtain, on which she worked five years. She made the dress for the box of beads and a book stand and knitted frontal in front of St. Anne’s altar. During the term of office of Fr. Flaiszman in Besko the first missions took place. They were conducted for both Catholic denominations by five Jesuits from Stara Wieś from May 29 to June 7, 1875. Flaiszman died in March 13, 1881, at the age of 67. 5000 zł which he left in his will ,were destined to bring to Besko Felician Sisters, which would lead the village orphanage for children.
From March 13 to September 30, 1881, the ministry of the priest was temporarily held by Fr. John Bardziński, after whom the parish priest in Besko became Francis Stankiewicz, as executor of the estate of Fr. Flaiszmana he brought to the Parish in Besko SS. Felician assembly, which was serving continuously the children, the poor, the elderly and orphans. Thanks to Fr. Stankiewicz the interior of the temple was finished. In 1889, thanks to the contributions of the parishioners t a large altar was built(replacing the former of which we know nothing), and in 1891 – two side altars. Rapid population growth in Besko forced Fr. Stankiewicz to enlarge the church, which he did in 1893, extending to the west nave (the newer part is still visible at the two-pillar of the church choir, separates it from the older part of the semi-circular arc), and the church, and roof were covered with shingles. At the top a new bell was erected . In 1889, Fr. Stankiewicz enlarged by half acre parish cemetery, tearing down old walls and levelled the area. The original wall separating the cemetery from the church, was moved . New wall was built along the road, there was also built a new cemetery gate with images of the Virgin and Christ the Man of Sorrows, existing to this days. The side of the cemetery was fenced with slat .Priest Stankiewicz had worked in Besko for 17 years. He was transferred to Sokolow Malopolski in March 1898.
John Bauer comes to Besko in his place for a short time, as administrator of the parish but in September 1, 1889, the long-term ministry of parish priest begins to play Fr. Stanislaw Knap (originally Knapp) (1867-1930), son of the economist from Wzdów, coming from families of German colonists. After graduating from high school in Jaslo, in 1894 he completed a seminar in Przemysl. As a handsome, talented, good singer and speaker, he hated objection. He kept people with a firm hand. He was also a good host. But he was the undisputed power in the village. Ks. Knap fought with the widespread drunkenness of the peasants by all means. Just before the World War I, the parish was preparing to build a new, large temple. A number of material resources for this purpose were founded . Unfortunately, the war, the destruction of the village and large progressive post-war inflation shattered those plans. Under his rectory building was two-section – on the south side a very large living room was added(the entire width of the presbytery) and the kitchen was modernized. The original porch was changed for the terrace , gabled roof was converted into a hipped one and covered with a sheet. Wooden thatched outbuildings were built very near: a twin-chamber stable adjacent to the bakery , a barn with two sheds, a small stable for calves, room for horses and oxen with the chopper, a barn with three pitches and two sheds for hay and farming equipment. Almost everything was destroyed by fire in May 1915, during the hurricane of artillery fire. In 1912 – after more than three hundred years – Besko changed deanery membership. In this year the St. Joseph Sebastian Pelczar, Bishop of Przemysl, created a new deanery based in Jaćmierz. It included the following parishes: Besko, Dydnia, Grabownica Starzeńska, Jaćmierz, Jasionów, Strachocina Trześniów and Zarszyn.
In 1916, second missions took place in Besko. In 1923, Bolesław Hołub came to Besko, he was first long-time chaplain, who was known as a passionate promoter of various Polish organizations and associations (Creamery Cooperative, Wicker-Basket Cooperative, Association of Catholic Youth, brass band), a very well-liked and respected by parishioners, which was moved in 1935 to Zarszyn and later to Sanok and Zamosc to finally settle down as dean near Radymno. At the turn of 1918 and 1919 Besko was attacked by severe influenza, so-called. "Spaniard". In spite of the possibility of infection, Knap visited all the dying people, giving them the sacrament of anointing of the sick. After the war, Knap bought three bells: "Stanislaus" (in 1918), "Adam" (in 1919) and Wojciech "(in 1922). The largest of them, "Stanislaw", with a diameter of 85 cm and a height of 75 cm was decorated on the head with garlands of grapes and the words "Resurrection of the homeland in 1918." Average bell – "Adam", had a diameter of 70 cm. From one side it hold the image of the Blessed Virgin Mary, on the other side – St. Anthony; there was a cast in the shape of grapes all around. The bell is inscribed with the words "Souvenir of the Great World War" and the date of 14 April 1919, on the other side, the word "Adam". The smallest bell, "Wojciech", had a diameter of 56 cm and height 35 cm there was an image of St. Wojciech, on the other side – St. Kinga. The inscription on the bell said: "With the gifts of yours, Lord we give you an offering – the year 1922." The last two bells ("Adam" and "Wojciech") were taken by the German authorities in 1942 and never recovered. Knap also took part in the accidents, which took place in the nearby Jaćmierz in 1921. He died in March 16, 1930, after 41 years of pastoral work, at the age of 63 years. He was buried in the parish cemetery.
From March to August 1930, the parish was administered by Boleslaw Holub. In June the priest from Milcza Stanisław Kijowski celebrated his first Mass.. In August 1930 Andrew Witko (1884-1965) came to Besko, he was ordained in Przemysl seminary in 1912. He was a man of great heart, and very devout, clearly separating the problems of salvation and the Church from the current affairs of the world. During his tenure in 1930, the south side of the church was renovated, and second time extended from the west side. The roof was then covered with fashionable sheet. The church building still stands today in such from. In 1937 in Zakącie 14 are property was purchased from Paweł Bobak. The organist was built there connected to curate; money for this purpose came in part from the sale of the old organist, and part of the funds given by people. A year later, in one part lived the organist, and in the other part- the vicar. During the war, in 1943, the cemetery was expended again and fenced (the wall is standing to this day). Thanks to the priest two bells were bought after the war "Andrew" (weighing 895 kg), and "Mary" (189 kg), with the image of Our Lady of Czestochowa. During the Second World War Andzej Witko lived with his brother, John, in the rectory. In winter1940 and spring 1941 in the middle of the rectory quartered German. In 1942, the pastor Witko was commanded to give back two bells to Nazi, what he did. Their total weight was 320 kg. It was managed to hide the third largest bell "Stanislav" – and that as a result of a German mistake, because the occupation authorities allowed the Ukrainians to keep one bell. Since the regulation did not say that it concerned only the church, this loophole was used and the third largest rings till today. In the years 1942-1943, Witko took to his modest apartment Lewandowski family with many children from the East. The building of the church "experienced" hard times during the front in 1944, abandoned by people who were forced by the Nazis to leave Besko. It was protected only by God's care, miraculously survived against tremendous artillery fire. After the war, Witko, along with his parishioners immediately started to renovate the church, especially a damaged roof.
After the deportation of Ukrainians from Besko, Witko celebrated in an abandoned church service several times, but soon abandoned it, perhaps for fear of reprisals by the UPA. There were even suggestions of local authorities to – leave partly ruined church – and move to the other church, Curia from Przemyśl did not agree. Pastor Witko still put off the start of construction of the new church, aware of his deteriorating health. In 1952, he bought a new chasuble. In the same year three chalices and monstrance were renewed. In 1953, the electricity was brought to the church, rectory and organist. After installing the belfry bell rescued by the Germans "Stanislav" Parish in 1959, bought two more bells in foundry Felczyńskich in Przemysl: the first was called "Andrew" and the other "Maria".
In 1952, the communist authorities increasingly reaching toward totalitarian Stalinism, began to deprive priests from teaching religion and removed religion from schools. In 1959, the head of the primary school in Besko, Tadeusz Leja, ordered to remove hanging crucifixes on the walls of each classroom. At the request of parishioners, Andrzej Witko consecrated new crosses, which were hung again in classrooms – it must be admitted that the manager Leja did not oppose, despite pressure from higher authorities. In 1956, religious education was removed from the school permanently. Since then, the students of the parish attended to religion lessons in a former organist building in Zakącie. In autumn 1974, next to the church catechetical house was built without the permission. There were three rooms, each with a capacity of about 30 people. Additional class ("emergency" as he described) was established in 1980 in organist building. Catechetical classes began in 1977. Catechesis (2 hrs.) usually took place after school. This situation lasted until 1991, when the religion classes returned to the schools once again. In 1962, celebrating the 50th anniversary of his priesthood, Witko gave a moving l sermon (from August this year Jan Mikosz wasthe administrator in Besko). He died on December 14, 1965. The solemn funeral generally well-liked priest gathered about 40 priests from different parishes and the entire population from Besko. After the solemn funeral mass he fell on the parish cemetery.
In August 1962, young Jan Mikosz arrived to Besko from Olchowce(1919-2005),he was born in Jaslo, he was ordained in 1943. Jan Mikosz a good and enthusiastic organizer renewed the belfry Gatehouseas a first thing, the church was surrounded by new wall. In 1966 he ordered the repair of historic organs, renewed rectory, endowed the church in the new books. In 1962 he purchased new, metal and refractory tabernacle, and in 1969 he restored the exterior walls of the church. In 1972, he renewed the pulpit, baptismal font and murals inside the temple. In 1969, gas was connected and a new floor was made. In the 70s four new confessionals were made. In 1972 and 1989, polychrome wall and ceiling shall were subjected to maintenance. In the '80s, thanks to the efforts of Jan Mikosz and all parishioners, finally, the construction of a new church had began not only in Besko, but also churches in Mymoń, Poręby and Milcza. After building his own church in 1972, the church received the status of a separate parish. The construction of a new rectory finally started in 1976. Old aged building of the eighteenth century, was not a comfortable apartment any more – sunken foundations, cracking walls and moisture. The plan of the new building made Wladyslaw Czaja from Zarszyn. Józef Kijowski the great builder, was the leader of the construction. In 1977, the foundations were laid, but unfortunately, the construction significantly slowed due to the lack of materials. It was not until June 7, 1980, the pastor with the chaplain Jan Bawół entered the new rectory. The old rectory was demolished – now in its place is the church parking. After the construction of the parsonage was the time to build a new church. The old temple was no longer able to cope with the increasing number of people from Besko, Mymon and partly from Poręby. Despite the increase number of Masses, the church was simply too small. Construction of the new church became a parish priority.
October 14, 1980, Jan Mikosz asked Curia in Przemysl to include in the plans to build sacred objects. Along with other writings Curia sent them to the Regional Office of Religious Affairs. Finally, in March 5, 1981 the permission to build a new church was given. A few of us now remember about the project, brought by residents of Wola and Hraben to erect a new church building in the area of today's villages, but eventually decided on the land at the old church, because of the large surface area of the parish land and distance from the main road. 18th May 1981, filed an application to the Office of the Municipal in Zarszyn for a permission to build a new church on the plot No. 2682. The case was complicated because it had to reclassify the land, which was the responsibility of the Ministry of Agriculture. June 28, 1983, the Faculty of Civil Engineering in Zarszyn gave the permission to build a church in Besko The work finally moved. The project was done by an architect Edmund Królicki. The whole action was directed by Stanislaw Janowski from Sanok . For the purposes of the construction had to be gathered about 450 thousand pieces of bricks, which at that crisis conditions was impossible. Hence, every day two Parishioners worked in a brickyard in Zarszyn to buy the required amount of building materials. The organization of work in a brickyard was taken by Julia Szałankiewicz and Paweł Kurpiel. By the end of 1983, every family voluntarily levied on the purchase of lime, strips, gravel, sand and cement. The required amount of structural concrete purchased from "Hydro-Eng" in Sieniawa, which built the dam. Workers employed in the construction of the dam (fixers) with Mieczyslaw Kusion from Nowy Sacz, were selflessly working on the construction in their spare time (from 15.30 to 20.30).
August 10, 1983, the work begun. The pace was rapid. The first part of the structure was established on August 26, and the next day carpenters and joiners under the direction of Antoni Suwała began installing formwork. Replacing broken concrete foundations and claimed a total of 450 m3 of concrete mass and ended on October 22. Before winter the entire concrete structure was covered with pitches. The work began in the spring of 1984, April 14 Józef Kijowski (main master bricklayer) and Stanislaw Denko marked out axes of the temple and they laid the first brick in the left corner of the sacristy (from the old church).
The May 4, 1984, the walls were erected around the church to the height of the floor (80 cm). Later, the entire nave was filled with earth – here with help came Mikołaj Śmietana, who allowed to get land 60 trailers of his earth. At that time, the parish received the beams of the chancel and sacristy and two thousand of special blocks to it. In 1985 the walls were pulled up to make the ceremony of laying the cornerstone. June 23, 1985, Bishop Tadeusz Błaszkiewicz laid the foundation stone and the foundation act which said:
June 23rd 1985, when the Holy See in Rome, served first Slavic pope – Polish – John Paul II – Polish Primate was J. Em. Fr. Cardinal. Glemp, Ordinary of the Diocese of Przemysl Rev. Msgr. Bishop Dr. Ignacy Tokarczuk – dedication and laying of the foundation stone, coming from the Cathedral Basilica of the industry, to His Eminenc did the Auxiliary Bishop Tadeusz Błaszkiewicz. Design of the church has done architect Edmund Krolicki, M. Sc. Stanislaw Janowski from Sanok. Construction work started at the beginning of July 1983 – and the master was Józef Kijowski and Antoni Suwala formwork contractor. Blessed Divine Providence all be praised .
Under the foundation act Fr. Błaszkiewicz Bishop, Fr. Mikosz pastor, Fr. Ciekliński and representatives of the Parish Council signed. From August 22, 1985, the walls of the temple began to rise. The walls were built to November, when the construction, due to adverse weather, had to be stopped until the spring. In 1986, the construction work has been resumed. Both sacristies were covered with tar paper. Due to the difficulty of material amend had to be made and the architectural design, which was approved by Przemyska Curia (hence the complicated architecture of the church). However, due to shortages in materials, the work lasted until the late 90th.In 1992 the roof truss over the church were mounted .Then the tower was installed and covered all with zinc plate, which was completed at the end of 1993 . In the next year, the company "Metalplast" from Bielsko Biala to mid-June installed the 12 giant aluminum windows in the temple.
July 25, 1994, there was a change of the priest – the retiring deserved builder Mikosz was replaced by a new pastor – Andrzej Gil –the 30th parish priest in Besko. He was born in 1956 in Przeworsk, after graduating at the Major Seminary in Przemysl in June 9, 1981 he was ordained a priest. He worked in Tarnowska Wola, Sanok (Parish of the Transfiguration), Tarnowiec (where without the consent of the local authorities started to build a new church in Wrocanka) Strzyzow, Chotyniec (where again he oversaw the construction of the new church), from where he went to Besko and took in the rectory. In 2001 he was appointed Vice-Dean of the deanery from Jaćmierz. He had to finish the construction and fit the interior of the temple. And so, with the cooperation of parishioners, he made vents and heating ducts, hundreds of meters of wiring grooves were dug on. At the end of 1994 the completion of concrete main and side stairs was done. Under the supervision of Albin Rajchel parishioners done the lighting and sound installation. Andrzej Szybka, Marek Szałankiewicz, Zdzislaw Sobota and Lesław Ziemiański did plaster inside the temple, and Antoni Suwała did the carpentry work. One year later the marble floor was made, these works were executed by the company "Wolski" of Mizerna near Czorsztyn. Pastor Gil wanted the major works to be completed before the grand indulgence (church fair) in September 14, 1996.
At the same time when the priest was preparing the parish spiritually for an important event he sent to the Parish people Invitation for Holy Missions which were led by Michał and Janusz Mierzwa and Andrzej Garbarz. In 1996 the parish in Besko celebrated 400 years of its existence. There are important and more important moments in peoples’ life and such moments had been given to us thanks to God's providence, when at the same time we were preparing to beautiful Jubilee- the 400th anniversary of the parish Besko. (…). Last 13 years were devoted to build two churches: in Mymon and in Poręby and beautiful new temple in Besko. Thanks to your hard busy penny, sweat and hard work we can enjoy three new temples today. (…) Accept these words of kindness and accept the invitation to the Jubilee, sacred Mission and the 400th anniversary of the parish in Besko.
September 14, 1996, during the Feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross, Archbishop Jozef Michalik arrived to Besko, to sacrifice a new temple. The ceremony was attended by 25 priests (including Jan Mikosz retired pastor, Dean Józef Niznik, , and Professor. Stanislaw Ziemiański and Andrzej Mroczkowski – both compatriots of Besko) Felician Sisters working in the parish and born in Besko, the builders of the church and the people from Besko, Mymon, Poręby. During the ceremony, Archbishop blessed the arms of the Commune in Besko. On this day, there was also presented the first book about Besko- Benedict Gajewski was the author. Formal dedication of the church does not end, of course, work on the new church. Wojciech Jaślar did the carpentry work, doors, pews, confessionals.
Paving stones were laid around the church ,more than 300 ornamental trees were planted around the temple, water and sewer were connected to the new church. A large 8 foot missionary cross was erected, and the remaining area around the temple had been sown with grass. The roof of the church was painted and a wreath-concrete secured outside the church.
Professor Kazimierz Rochecki was responsible for the interior art. According to his project, oak doors, altar conciliar, font, figures in the main altar, the tabernacle, chandeliers, wrought iron railings, stained glass-6 pieces, choir were done.
While building the church in Besko, that was in 80s, people from Mymoń and Poręby started to build their own temples.
First the people from Poręby were motivated, who had to go 4 km to get to the church in Besko. The initiative came from Szymon Józefczyk. At the beginning the Masses were celebrated in, adapted for the purpose, private religious wooden building in which the partition walls were removed.. In March 19, 1983,. Bishop Ignacy Tokarczuk saw the building, and encouraged people to build their own church. Plans for the church were created by an architect Ludwik Grzybowski from Lesko, who also held the overall supervision of the construction. In May 1983, excavations for the foundations begun – everyone was engaged Construction proceeded rapidly .In 1984 the building of the temple was covered by a roof . In June 21, 1986 bishop Ignacy Tokarczuk sacrified the church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus . In 2011, the dedication of the church murals was made by Dean Jozef Niznik. Today this temple and the area around it, is systematically beautifying .
In 1985, the residents of Mymon started to build a new church in their village. Most involved in this work were Ludwik Penar, Eugeniusz Kornasiewicz and JanKielar. The land for the construction was given by Józef Szałankiewicz, plans developed a well-known engineer-Ludwik Grzybowski from Lesko. In October 1985, the excavation began, the necessary building materials were gathered. Since the spring of 1986 the walls of the new church began to rise. In 1987 the church was covered with galvanized iron roof, interior walls were plastered, windows were inserted and the tiles were laid on the floor. The next year was devoted to finishing and embellishment of the interior of the church. All work was done in a community action, almost the entire community of a small village (about 300 people) joined the work. All people taxed on the benefit of this investment. Part of the funds came from foreign donors. In December 5, 1988, Bishop Ignacy Tokarczuk sacrifited the new church in Mymoń- Mercy of God Church. Rapid work and availability of contemporary building materials caused that in the following years it was necessary to replace the entire roof of the church. Polychrome was made by an artist Stanislaw Zima from Lubatowa. Currently, this temple is regularly beautifying.
The Parish takes care of historic church in Besko and so in 1999 the church roof was painted with towers, and in 2001, Pastor Andrzej Gil ordered maintenance of the bell tower and bells: wooden beams were replaced with metal ones, a new balcony railings were made. In 2012, old church pews were renovated. The project to save the monument has been designed, but the costs of repair / over 800,000 zł. / exceed the capacity of the Parish. What is more the applications submitted for funding the repair were rejected by the Ministry of Culture and by the Marshal's Office. Today the old church is used as a funeral chapel.
In 2010, clearing works began on the cemetery in Besko.
In 2011, the parish parking was hardened with asphalt.
The parish in Besko entered the new millennium as a strong structure, and with over four hundred years of tradition, and full of society respect. However, difficult social challenges comes… the rescue as always are young people who, while respecting the past and the people who create it, can inspire the church with a new spirit …
tłumaczenie: Agnieszka Matuszek